Monday, 21 July 2014

Arthritis Friendly Recipe: Quick Caramel Mousse

Do you ever find your arthritis very, very boring? I'm so over mine at the moment. I'm enjoying playing with my 5 month old daughter and discovering things through her eyes and, frankly, I don't have the time for sore wrists, hips or feet. It's enough to make me want to cry like a baby! 

One way of tackling the frustration has been to concentrate on eating well and having fun. The two don't always go hand-in-hand, but I know that when I eat well and relax well I'm more able to cope with arthritis pain.

This caramel mousse delivers on both counts. It's relatively healthy and fun to make. It's full of calcium-rich greek yoghurt, low in fat and contains much less sugar than a commercial product. Calcium is so important for those of us with arthritis: It helps safeguard our bones and may even delay the progress of osteoarthritis in women, although not men (!), according to a recent study. Eating plenty of low fat dairy products, pulses, sesame seeds and fortified non-dairy products is the best way to meet your calcium needs or, for a change, you can try this fun caramel mousse. 

Ingredients:

500g 2% fat Greek yoghurt (choose a brand with a firm 'set')
2 egg whites (if you are on immune suppressants, like me, then I recommend using the pasteurised kind that comes in a carton)
1 tablespoon light brown soft sugar
1 tablespoon golden syrup (or you can use molasses or treacle for a stronger flavour)
1tsp vanilla extract

Serves 4

In a large bowl, gently fold the sugar, syrup and vanilla extract into the yoghurt until everything is just combined. Don't overmix.

Whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks and then fold these into the yoghurt mixture. 10-12 folds should do it!

Divide the mousse mixture between four glasses and leave to chill for 2-3 hours before serving. This is best eaten on the day it is made otherwise it will begin to separate.

2 comments:

  1. The mousse sounds delicious, Kate. As I was reading it, though, I wondered about using a sugar substitute, like Splenda, rather than sugar. I think in this recipe, the brown sugar lends the caramel flavor (?), so you wouldn't want to skip it. In other recipes, maybe.

    Perhaps you could write a post about sugar substitutes? So many people are diabetic these days (or prediabetic), but we still love our sweets. I'd love to read a dietician's take on using them.

    I'm going to try this recipe (sugar included) for my mother. She loves caramel, but won't eat yogurt. Maybe this will change her mind. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren! I haven't tried it with a sweetener but I'm pretty sure it would work. I imagine Splenda/sucralose would be best and you could add some caramel flavouring or any other essence you liked the taste of.

      I'll try to do a post on sweeteners and diabetes etc - good idea.

      Hope all is well with you

      Kate

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...