Sunday, 29 March 2015

What to cook when you don't want to cook!

Generally, despite my arthritis, I love to cook. However, every now and again I lose interest - maybe because I'm having a flare, maybe because the toddler has worn me out or, sometimes, just because I'm in a rut. On those days, I want to get something healthy and arthritis-friendly on the table as quickly as possible. Here are some of my favourites:

1. Thunder and lightning pasta - I *think* that this is a genuine Italian dish but regardless it makes and amazingly quick arthritis friendly supper and you probably have all the ingredients in your store cupboard. Simply cook and drain some pasta and then toss with cooked chickpeas (from a can), olive oil and garlic. 

2. Baked sweet potato - packed full of goodness and on the table in 5 minutes if  you have a microwave. You can read my suggested topping ideas here.

3. Pitta pizza - a wholemeal pizza smeared with tomato paste, sliced light mozzarella and topped with bits of torn pepper and basil. You can get this on the table faster than you can call for pizza delivery! If you have any jars of marinated peppers or artichokes then use these for the topping and it will be even tastier.

4. Steamed fish and rice - pop fish and vegetables like mangetout, sugarsnaps or green beans in a steaming basket over a pan of rice whilst it cooks. Try placing slices of ginger and spring onion on the fish and cooking the rice with a spoonful of coconut milk.

5. Pasta with raw tomato sauce - so quick, easy and healthy.It's a good recipe if people are coming over as it seems like a proper dinner but takes no longer to prepare than the time it takes the pasta to cook. Find the recipe here.

Those are my top five arthritis-friendly suppers - what are yours?

1 comment:

  1. My mom also have arthritis issue and despite of that she used to cook daily yummy food. Yesterday she made cheese pasta with tomato and pasta sauce. These days I am learning cooking tips from her. You also shared quick recipes here.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...