Friday, 24 April 2015

Arthritis-Friendly Snacks

Ah snacks, probably my favourite type of food. I had a colleague who called me the little mouse because I was often to be found surreptitiously nibbling something over my keyboard and my husband jokes that the most common sound you will here from the kitchen at 9pm at night is the 'rustle, rustle' of me ferreting around for a little pre-bed snack. I'm naturally a fan of eating little and often (also slightly inevitable when running around after a toddler or taking the dreaded steroids for a flare) but I do try to keep my snacks arthritis-friendly. Here are some of my favourite healthy arthritis snacks (the links will take you to the arthritis-friendly recipes):

Baked vegetable crisps - these are so easy if you have a mandolin and a microwave although you could also just slice the vegetables finely and bake them on a low heat in the oven. Try sweet potatoes for a boost of vitamin A or even phytochemical packed beetroot slices. Both are a more arthritis-friendly snack than a packet of Walkers ready salted!

Roasted chickpea snack - this works well with other beans too. My toddler can't get enough of cannellini beans cooked this way.

Dips and chips - my favourite current dip is the carrot hummus from the Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall Veg book but I also like this wasabi dip, my healthy hummus or a simple carrot and coriander dip. Serve with raw vegetable sticks (sugar snap peas of baby corn are a great no-chop option) or roasted sweet potato wedges.

Kale chips - surprisingly tasty and quick to make at home. Simply bake kale at 150c until crisp and then eat sprinkled with sea salt. Kale is rich in vitamin K which may help prevent or slow the deterioration of joints in osteoarthritis 

Nut butter on crackers, carrots or celery sticks - peanut butter is the classic but cashew butter is a good source of magnesium which is important for bone health and can help with muscle cramps. If you have a food processor you can experiment with making your own nut butter blends...

Homemade popcorn - actually very cheap and easy to make. If you find heavy saucepans difficult to lift with your arthritis then have a look at this easy microwave method.

What's your favourite arthritis-friendly snack?


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...